A cigarette butt started a fire Tuesday at the Cleveland City Forge in Wellington.
Wellington firefighters, already stretched after spending a bulk of the day at a Peck Wadsworth fire, received the call around 3:45 p.m. First responders were informed a fire was inside a wall where the shipping dock connects to the office area.
Fire chief Mike Wetherbee said the blaze started outside in what looked to be an employee break area. He thinks the fire climbed up the outer wall, got inside, burned through the insulation, and spready upward to the ceiling.
An employee inside the building put most of the fire out with an extinguisher before a WFD crew arrived. It took the firefighters roughly 10 to 15 minutes to finish the job.
All of the employees were evacuated safely.
Wetherbee said the inside wall endured a minimal amount of damage. He thinks the company will most likely have to replace one section of the metal outer wall.
“They’ve got a little bit of clean-up in there but it’s not too bad,” he said.
The office in the front of the building is made of solid concrete walls so no water got into that area.
Kelsey Leyva can be reached at 440-647-3171 or @TWE_KelseyLeyva on Twitter.
Kelsey Leyva | Wellington Enterprise Wellington firefighters work to make sure the fire in the wall at the Cleveland City Forge is completely out. The dark area to the left of the building opening is where the fire climbed the wall.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU