Anonymous donor gives $300K to Wellington Schools


Photos by Jonathan Delozier | Wellington Enterprise A new brick vestibule is being constructed around the WHS front entrance. It is slated to be complete by Nov. 30.


An anonymous donor has opened the door for vast improvement to the front end of Wellington High School.

He or she handed over about $300,000 to the district over the summer, earmarked for improvements at WHS.

“The office and the outside area are all thanks to this person,” principal Tina Drake said. “There’s going to be a lot of glass, brick, and metal work at the front doors. The original entrance will stay. What we’re adding is a vestibule over the old entrance. Visitors will still buzz into the original doors.”

By installing a new window and moving the front door buzzer, office workers will have a direct line of sight to spot visitors, Drake said.

Another window was added in the office overlooking a conference room and a central wall was knocked out to create easier access to surrounding rooms.

While the changes to the office are nearing completion, the front entrance is lining up for a Nov. 30 finish date.

Interim superintendent Tom Tucker said he doesn’t know who the donor is.

“I came in right after the donation had been given,” he said. “The board told me it was totally anonymous. It’s very nice what they’re doing at the high school and it will be a beautiful facility when it’s finished.”

Jonathan Delozier can be reached at 440-647-3171 or @DelozierNews on Twitter.

Photos by Jonathan Delozier | Wellington Enterprise A new brick vestibule is being constructed around the WHS front entrance. It is slated to be complete by Nov. 30.

http://aimmedianetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/25/2016/09/web1_IMG_4553.jpg

Photos by Jonathan Delozier | Wellington Enterprise A new brick vestibule is being constructed around the WHS front entrance. It is slated to be complete by Nov. 30.