Neighbors jumped into action with four-wheelers and fire extinguishers when a brush fire Monday at 47094 US 20 in Oberlin began to spread into a nearby field and wooded area.
Carl Zifcak was at his home across the street when the flames started migrating northwest with the help of the wind. “I was trying to keep it from going to my neighbor’s house,” he said.
Also helping extinguish the flames were Lee Robinson and Bert Latran Jr.
“We were stomping out fires,” Latran said.
Although the flames started in Oberlin, Wellington firefighters responded to the call. Wellington assistant fire chief Bill Brown said that was because someone across the street called for help.
The south side of US 20 is considered Pittsfield Township.
The home where the fire originated is owned Sultan Properties and Farms LLC. Brown is not sure who lives there.
He said the fire originated from a compost pile that spontaneously combusted. He estimates the fire burned about three acres total.
“There was a lot of fire,” Brown said. “I was surprised at how much fire there was when we got here.”
Brown expected the charred remains to continue smouldering throughout the evening but wasn’t concerned about it starting back up again or spreading.
“Anything in the burned area won’t make any issues,” he said. “It’s got nowhere to go.”
Kelsey Leyva can be reached at 440-647-3171 or @TWE_KelseyLeyva on Twitter.
Photos by Kelsey Leyva | Civitas Media
Wellington firefighters work to extinguish flames caused by a compost pile that spontaneously combusted and spread Monday afternoon in Oberlin.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU